Thursday, January 7, 2010

Saturday Preview

This Saturday NYSSRA race series resumes with two races, one in Hammond Hills and one in Glens Falls, NY. Nordic ski reporter extraordinaire Kat Nerz from fasterskiingperson.com sat down on Wednesday with H.U.R.T director Aaron Huneck to talk about the team status, the upcoming races and his feelings on the slim lead his unit now holds in the Team Championship Series. This interview provides a glimpse into the mind of New York's newest nordic dictator.


KN: Do you care to divulge any team strategy for the upcoming races?

AN: Well Kat, Without giving away too much I will say that we are concentrating are full effort on Glens Falls this Saturday, its our home course, its where we train week in and week out, we know the corners, the lines, the pacing. I expect a strong showing and fast times.

KN: How about the individuals on your team?

AN: hmmm....Well....Doug Diehl is on rocket form right now. His dominating performance in Tupper Lake along with consistently fast performances since the summer makes me think he could have a special race. My only concern there is all the snow shoveling at the apartments he's had to do to pay the bills. Hopefully he has implemented the T.N.R.P (team nutrition recovery plan) that I prescribed....oreos, coke-a-cola and pork fat.
I think Kvam's been coming on form pretty well too. Tupper went well for him too considering his limited time on classic skis. But I need him to be more concerned with his own race and not the races of others. Pedal to the Metal all the way for him. Historically, he performs well this race and relishes the chance to scrap his way around the wounded Juniors that litter the trails during the Men's race. I expect a top time.
My biggest hope is for Chris Yarsevich who is coming into Saturday as well rested as anyone ever in the history of skiing. 138 hours of sleep in 10 days....his cold has been kicked...and either he'll ski like a bear coming out of hibernation or he'll win this bad boy by a mile.
But honestly....I have high hopes for everyone...Almost everyone should be there and should put down fast times.

KN: And what do you think of the competition?

AN: NYSEF is angry....they don't like being in 2nd place and I am sure will bring a big team....they haven't said so in so many words but I feel it in my gut.....either that or I have had too many oreos.

KN: Anyone else?

AN: Well Rochester likes to bring their juniors out here to tangle with us and I heard rumor that Chad Day and Jason Hettenbaugh are on the start list. Chad is always a threat to win and Jason is is right up there too. There is no shooting in this race so my big hope is that Jason gets confused and Kvam can slide in there. I expect them to rise in the standings.

KN: What about Peru?

AN: who?

KN: Well thanks for your time Aaron and look forward to talking with you as we get closer to the Tri-HURT-athon.

AN: And thank you, Kat.

4 comments: